Thursday, May 9, 2013

Ravens raiding the Hen House



We have been raising chickens for meat and eggs for about six years and have never had a problem with Ravens stealing their eggs.  We have been getting between 18 and 21 eggs per day from our 22 layers.  A week ago the count dropped to 13 and stayed at that number for the next few days.  I wondered if some of the girls starting laying in the nettle patches.  We have some very wild areas that the chickens have access to, so I began searching but with no luck.

Three days later while I was brushing my teeth in the bathroom and looking out the window, I saw a Raven land on a tall hemlock tree with a brown egg in her mouth.  Mystery solved – the Ravens were going into the hen house and stealing their eggs.

The Chicken door to their coop with cloth strips hanging to keep out the Ravens
I have been told they will do this and the solution was to cut strips of bright color cloth and hang them over the entrance to the hen house.  I’m told that chickens will go in and out but the Ravens won’t.  So I did that.  That evening when I went out to lock up the birds for the night over half of them were outside the hen house and wouldn’t go in through the door with the hanging cloth strips.  I moved the strips aside and they all went in.  I had the same problem the next evening, but then the next morning I realized that five of the chickens spent the night outside hiding in the nettle.  So I started collecting eggs about 1 pm and pushed the strips aside.  No more problems getting the chickens in at night but my egg production still hung between 13 and 15.

Now the question became: are several chickens laying in a nest in the nettle, or is the Raven back?  Being some of the chickens were out all night and I have not seen any Ravens for a few days, I’m leaning toward eggs in the nettle.  There is probably one nest somewhere with many eggs in it.

Now what?  I decided to keep the chickens locked up until 1 pm as they are usually done laying.  I’m thinking that if I can do this for three days the chickens will get use to laying in the hen house again, and then try opening them in the morning.  The first day of doing this I collected 18 eggs – perfect – as I had an order for two dozen, and with the four in the fridge I had enough to fill it.

I brought the bucket of eggs in the house and instead of dropping the bag in my left hand I dropped the bucket of eggs on the title floor.  15 of the 18 eggs broke!  Oh well, so much for filling the orders for the next day.  Yesterday I again got 18 eggs and today will open them up at 1 pm for the third day.  Tomorrow I’ll let them out in the morning when I’m finished milking the goats.

Stirring the Curds for Cheddar Cheese

While writing this entry I’ve been making another 2 lb. block of cheddar cheese.  I just finished the most tedious part – stirring the pot for 30 minutes while increasing the temperature from 85 to 100 degrees.  Now it’s hanging in cheese cloth draining for an hour.  Next will be salting the cheese and putting it in the cheese press.
Cheddar Cheese ready to be waxed today

Waxed Cheddar Cheese ready to be put away to age


2 comments:

  1. Interesting and informative article..I appreciate the home photos. I'm curious about where you get your cheese making supplies. This is something that I would like to incorporate into my own hobby farm.

    www.festinalentefarm@blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry this has taken me so long to respond, I've been swamped. I get all of my cheese supplies from Hoegger Supply Company on-line. Hoeggerfarmyard.com

      Delete