Saturday, May 11, 2013

Muscovy Ducklings



We kept three female Muscovy ducks last year (butchered and sold all the others) along with our one drake (the male).  Two of the ducks began laying eggs about a month ago, one in the chicken coop and one in our duckling house (where we raise the young ducks).  I was happy about their locations as normally they find some odd place and if the ravens don’t get the eggs and the duck does hatch them, I have a heck of a time catching mother and ducklings so I can move them into the duckling yard.  One of our ducks had not started laying yet (that I know of) and was eaten by an eagle.

Today when I went in to gather chicken eggs I say one duckling head sticking out – still wet.  It’s amazing that the duck will lay her eggs over a two week period and they’ll hatch all within two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment