Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Sad Day for the Chickens

I was getting ready to go up to the barn area yesterday evening when I saw a Bald Eagle fly low over the house toward the State Park land behind our property and had a bad feeling.  I went up to the chicken yard and found our new mama, Falcon-ette, the Buff Orpington that a friend gave us, was dead.  Nothing left but feathers and some bones.  Two of her baby chicks were still alive (one disappeared a couple of days ago), I caught them and put them in the little coop with food and water.  I have to figure out how to keep them warm without their mother around.  If they made it through the night I will set something up in the barn.  Pam wanted to bring them in the house but I drew the line at that.  No way.  Really sadden me last night.  She was so cute with her babies.  One time I saw her scratch and find a large seed and she took it to one of her chicks.  Oh well...life on the farm.
Falcon-ette, eaten by an Eagle yesterday afternoon
Three years ago we had problems with an eagle that ate one of our ducks three days in a row.  The third day I was standing in the garden when the eagle came out of the park, flying low toward the bird yard, saw me and took off.  That gave me the idea of building a Scarecrow, which I did, and we never had a problem again until yesterday.  I'm thinking I will change it's clothes this morning - I'm really worried that it will return for another good meal.

This morning I prepared one of the ducklings I butchered last month for tonight's dinner.  Cut up potatoes, onions, carrots (all from our garden), added a package of dry onion dip with a half of cup of water, all into the crock pot for dinner tonight.  This will give us about eight servings.
An easy dinner that will cook all day - duckling from our farm

No comments:

Post a Comment